We have received some interesting and varied print additions to our Cookery Collections recently, from the beginning and the end of the twentieth century.
‘The Bachelor Girl’s Cookery Book: Simplified Recipes for Amateurs’ by May Henry and Jeannette Halford was first published in 1915. This book was written for the ‘[m]any girls now liv[ing] independent lives in their own rooms in college, in tiny flats, and also in week-end cottages in the country.’ Designed with frugal living in mind, each recipe is costed and timed for comparison. Potato soup, for example, will cost you only 2d and is ready in an hour, whereas celery soup will cost 9d, and surprisingly will take six hours. For the invalid, a recipe for gruel is also included.
Far more luxurious are the recipes in ‘Carrier’s Kitchen’ a cookery masterclass by Robert Carrier. Published by Mitchell Beazley in 135 issues from 1980, these magazines encapsulate an era through its food: from canapes to Christmas dinners; avocado mousse and prawn cocktail to sherry trifle. There is also a full issue dedicated to cocktails. Best enjoyed while wearing enormous shoulder pads or a bandana.
In May 1979 Jeremy Mulford, under the pseudonym July Fox, produced John Mackendrick’s play ‘Ludd!’ at The Little Theatre, Bristol. Our new accrual of archives to the Mackendrick Collection includes photographs of this production with flyers and quotations from newspaper reviews.
John Mackendrick (1946-1979) had close links with the University having studied drama here. While at Leeds Mackendrick wrote ‘Ludd!’, about the Luddite risings of unemployed weavers in 1811-1812. It is his most famous play. Mackendrick achieved the honour of becoming Yorkshire Arts Fellow in Creative Writing attached to Bretton Hall College of Education and Sheffield University in 1976.
Sometimes we receive new accessions which leave us wanting to know more. One such is a letter added to the Yorkshire Archaeological and Historical Society Collection. Written in blue biro it contains a detailed evaluation of the original site of a wall pulpit and staircase in Kirkstall Abbey, with a drawing. This shows the possible location of the pulpit behind a misericord.
The undated letter was written by a Mr A. Franks of 69 Albion Street, Leeds, to a Mr Dobson. The latter was probably Alan Dobson the author of a ‘Guide to Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds’, published in 1948. The question remains who was Mr Franks? The letter was found in ‘Publications of the Thoresby Society’ Kirkstall Abbey Excavations, Sixth Report, 1955′. Was Mr Franks the original owner of the volume? Did he and Mr Dobson ever resolve the question of the location of the wall pulpit?