Every year Altmetric release their list of the 100 papers that have attracted the most online attention in the past 12 months.
Unsurprisingly, given increasingly extreme weather patterns and deepening concern around man-made climate change, a significant number of the top 100 are focussed on the environment with important research led by Professor Andrew Shepherd, from Leeds’ School of Earth and Environment and Dr Erik Ivins at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory making the list at number 26.
Mass balance of the Antarctic Ice Sheet from 1992 to 2017 has a score of well over 3000 comprising 301 news stories, 2063 tweets reaching nearly 8 million users and dozens of blogs. It has also been cited on 4 Wikipedia pages.
Given the serious implications of this research, it’s not perhaps appropriate to “celebrate” making the list, nevertheless it means this research is having an impact beyond academia and contributing to public awareness of the effects of climate change.
N.B. At the time of writing it has been cited in peer reviewed literature a relatively modest 22 times (datasource: Dimensions) but there is generally a longer lead time for citations and some evidence that the informal citations measured by altmetrics can predict later citation rates in scholarly literature
So what other Leeds outputs have been making an impact in 2018? Unfortunately we can’t present the full 100 with the same sophistication at Altmetric but download this spreadsheet for the Altmetric Top 100 (Leeds edition) and click the link in column B to see the Altmetric details page for each record.
If you would like data broken down for your School or Faculty, please get in touch.
Leeds Top 10 Altmetric scores 2018
- The IMBIE Team, Shepherd, A , Ivins, E et al. (78 more authors) (2018) Mass balance of the Antarctic Ice Sheet from 1992 to 2017. Nature, 558. pp. 219-222. ISSN 0028-0836 DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Panagioti, M, Geraghty, K, Johnson, J et al. (7 more authors) (2018) Association Between Physician Burnout and Patient Safety, Professionalism, and Patient Satisfaction: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178 (10). pp. 1317-1330. ISSN 2168-6106 DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Jessica A Grieger, Luke E Grzeskowiak, Tina Bianco-Miotto, Tanja Jankovic-Karasoulos, Lisa J Moran, Rebecca L Wilson, Shalem Y Leemaqz, Lucilla Poston, Lesley McCowan, Louise C Kenny, Jenny Myers, James J Walker, Robert J Norman, Gus A Dekker, Claire T Roberts; Pre-pregnancy fast food and fruit intake is associated with time to pregnancy, Human Reproduction, Volume 33, Issue 6, 1 June 2018, Pages 1063–1070 DOI
- Dunneram, Y , Greenwood, DC , Burley, VJ et al. (1 more author) (2018) Dietary intake and age at natural menopause: results from the UK Women’s Cohort Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 72 (8). pp. 733-740. ISSN 0143-005X DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Konrad, H, Shepherd, A, Gilbert, L et al. (4 more authors) (2018) Net retreat of Antarctic glacier grounding lines. Nature Geoscience, 11. pp. 258-262. ISSN 1752-0894 DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- O’Neill, DW , Fanning, AL, Lamb, WF et al. (1 more author) (2018) A good life for all within planetary boundaries. Nature Sustainability, 88 (95). DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Rada-Fernandez de Jauregui, D, Evans, CEL , Jones, P et al. (3 more authors) (2018) Common dietary patterns and risk of cancers of the colon and rectum: Analysis from the United Kingdom Women’s Cohort Study (UKWCS). International Journal of Cancer, 143 (4). pp. 773-781. ISSN 0020-7136 DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Shepherd, A, Fricker, HA and Farrell, SL (2018) Trends and connections across the Antarctic cryosphere. Nature, 558 (7709). pp. 223-232. ISSN 0028-0836 DOI (White Rose Research Online)
- Berry, C, Davies, K , Woodford, N et al. (2 more authors) (2018) Survey of screening methods, rates and policies for the detection of carbapenemase producing Enterobacteriaceae in English hospitals. Journal of Hospital Infection. ISSN 0195-6701 DOI (White Rose Reseatrch Online)
- Best, E, Parnell, P, Couturier, J, Barbut, F, Le Bozec, A, Arnoldo, L, Madia, A, Brusaferro, S, Wilcox, MH (2018) Environmental contamination by bacteria in hospital washrooms according to hand-drying method: a multi-centre study. The Journal of hospital infection, 100 (4). pp. 469-475. ISSN. 0195-6701 DOI